What is teamwork?
Teamwork is an important aspect of business. It is necessary for colleagues to work well together, trying their best to reach a common goal or to complete tasks and meet deadlines in the most effective and efficient way.
Teamwork requires people to cooperate using their individual skills to give updates and provide constructive feedback, even if they have differences.
By working together, a team can explore different opinions and ideas, and find an approaches that work as an overall solution.
Aspects of teamwork skills
- Communicating in a clear and respectful way. Allowing others to have their say.
- Taking responsibility and accountability for the part you play in the team.
- Listening to and acknowledging the feelings, concerns, opinions and ideas of others.
- Utilising the strengths of others assists everyone in working towards a common outcome. Ensuring work and recognition is shared evenly.
- Valuing and showing respect for the different backgrounds, experiences, creativity and contributions of group members.
- Adhering to leadership and decision-making guidelines, and working within the scope and boundaries of the workplace.
- Participating in events with your team, saying good morning and goodbye, having give and take conversations and taking an interest in the activities of others.
End of Module Questions
- In your role, why would teamwork be important?
- What are some areas of difficulty for you that might make being part of a team difficult?
- How would you manage a situation where a team member is not participating in teamwork?