- Self care
- Some self care strategies
- More strategies
- Benefits of mindfulness
- Mindfulness resources
- Benefits of good quality sleep
- End of Module Question
- Download alternative formats
- Self care is the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health.
- It’s important to take an active role protecting one’s own wellbeing and happiness, particularly in times of stress.
Some self care strategies
- Grounding: conscious act of mindful practice – connecting mind body and spirit. Your body often knows things before you do (especially with amygdala stuff and alexithymia). You can also focus on things outside your body – colours, textures, stamping feet, objects (this is especially good if overwhelmed)
- Nature: peace and calm. Releases endorphins.
- Reclaiming emotions: suppressing emotions can lead to anxiety or depression. It is important to express them in an adaptive and healthy way.
- Creative arts: can lead to a sense of identity.
- Talk to someone: might help us see our situation as not as hopeless/scary etc. R U OK.
- Evidence Based Treatments (EBT): mindfulness, cognitive behavioural therapy, creative or art-based therapies. Seek professional medical assistance for treatment involving medication.
- Get enough sleep and rest
- Be active and eat well
- Learn to manage stress
- Get involved and join in
- Build your confidence
- Take time out for things you enjoy
- Nurture relationships and connect with others
- Be comfortable in your own skin (self-advocacy)
- Set realistic goals and deal with tasks one at a time
- Reach out for help when you need it.
These are only examples – it is important to find what works for you.
Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment. When we are more mindful, it engages the attention centres and sensory areas in the brain.
Benefits of mindfulness
- Reduced worry, anxiety and distress
- Increased awareness and creativity
- Improved concentration and productivity
- Better empathy and connectedness
- A healthier cardio-vascular system
- Surprisingly prevents some damage to our DNA
- Better health
- Better sleep
- Better immunity
- More energy
- A sense of calm
- Decreased inflammation
- Relaxed and regulated emotions
- Meditation for Autism – 10 minute relaxation video
- The Healing Power of Giving Myself Permission – 4 min video from “Asperger’s on the Inside”
Benefits of good quality sleep
- Getting a good night sleep is a very good self care strategy.
- Sleep is also essential to regulating your emotions. In fact, being sleep deprived for just one night can increase your emotional response to negative feelings by 60%.
End of Module questions
Why do you think it is important to look after your wellbeing?
Who is an appropriate person to talk to if you are concerned about:
- Your sleep?
- Your mood?
- Your work/life balance?
What self care strategies do you do?
In what ways do you think lack of sleep could impact you in the workplace?