Following on from the last blog post on getting to know your autistic client is how to create a document outlining an individuals’ required supports to ensure the best chance of success in the workplace.
This document aims to help an employer understand the unique individual traits of their autistic employee. It can also be used as a means to identify and agree upon reasonable adjustments to reduce barriers within the workplace. The document covers:
- Impacts on the person at work
- The effects of particular working environments
- The ability to interact with colleagues and customers
- Ensuring the work environment provides the right structure
- Encouraging regular performance reviews
- Detection and reduction of sensory distractions
The Individual Work Support Profile can be adapted to suit each individual. Information can be added or sections can be removed if they are not relevant. This document is intended as a guide/framework that can be adapted to suit each unique person that you work with.
Having a document that outlines an individuals’ needs and preferences is empowering. It should be created in collaboration with your autistic client.
- Download the work adjustments profile template (Word)
- Download the work adjustments profile template (PDF)
Ongoing support is crucial to ensure an autistic employee has the same chance of success as anyone else. This document aims to outline the areas of support that are required. More information is available in the user guide for the profile.